Encryption? + (unrelated) custom pipeline

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:34 AM
Have you given any thought to allowing for some sort of encryption? This would be mostly to protect people who license content and don't want people stealing it in violation of the licensing agreement.

I see the newer versions of the Zip library you use allow for passwords, which is better than nothing. Perhaps obfuscate the header as well, maybe, I dunno. Even just some simple encryption on the compressed file contents would be good. Anything that helps prevent a plaintext attack.

(unrelated question)
Also, does this library work with custom content pipeline components? For example, the InstancedModel XNA sample, or an animation component or sound library? (the newer Zip lib let's you store files uncompressed, good for audio and security if you encrypt, i.e. licensed music)

Cheers!

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:13 AM
Edited Jul 7, 2008 at 10:16 AM
Also, do you use new()/.Dispose a lot?

I've not had a chance to nosey through the source but doing this a lot on the 360 will kill it.

e.g. Load a big ass PNG, if you malloc/new compressed and uncompressed sizes each time (say 4mb uncompressed xnb) the thing will die in no time.