Unable to read the project file 'Content.contentproj'

Apr 15, 2008 at 8:46 PM
I'm trying to get EasyZip to work with my project. I ran the Project Utility and it gave me "Project updated for EazySip version v1.2" However, when Visual Studio 2005 loads the project, it game me this error: Unable to read the project file 'Content.contentproj'. I decided to try it on an empty project and got the same error. Here's the full text.

Error 1 Unable to read the project file 'Content.contentproj'.
C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP.VHOME.CS.UH.EDU.000\Desktop\WindowsGame1\WindowsGame1\Content\Content.contentproj(33,11): The imported project "C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP.VHOME.CS.UH.EDU.000\Desktop\WindowsGame1\WindowsGame1\Content\v1.2\EasyZip.targets" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk. 0 0

I am running this on a University of Houston computer with a limited account. If this is the problem, is there a manual way to update a project?
Coordinator
Apr 23, 2008 at 11:46 PM
Yes, by default if you don't install to the default directory, your projects won't work. If you open up the .contentproj file in Notepad or Wordpad you'll see it's just XML. Look for any spot that has "$(ProgramFiles)\EasyZip\..." and update it to the path where you installed EasyZip. You may also have to open the EasyZip.targets file and make sure that the path in there for the DLL is correct as well. Should be near the top of the file.

It's a pain in the butt, but there wasn't a real easy way for me to fix it. I thought that the latest release was going to fix it, but perhaps not. If you have the latest release, when you install it are you moving the project updater? That whole folder structure has to remain as-is. You can move the entire folder if you want, but the updater is using its directory to generate those paths.

Give it a try editing those paths manually and let me know if you need help. Should be fairly easy (the .contentproj file is really short and I put all the EasyZip stuff at the top of EasyZip.targets).
Coordinator
Apr 24, 2008 at 1:15 AM
I took a look at this today (to fix some things) and there was a bug in the updater code. I should have 1.3 up tonight which resolves the issue to a degree. It's still best if you install to the default directory or else you will have to manually edit the paths, but even that was broken in 1.2 it seems.