XACT problem

Mar 2, 2008 at 1:00 PM
I created an XACT project with a compression preset of 60 and loaded in 3 audio tracks which had file sizes of 31.0Mb, 26.2Mb and 56.4Mb before XACT compression. The output from XACT compressed them to 11.4Mb in the Wave Bank. When it came to loading the .zip file, there was an exception thrown:
An unhandled exception of type 'System.Exception' occurred in EasyZip.dll

Additional information: badly formatted zip file.

I checked the .zip file in Windows using the standard extraction tools that ships with the OS and it seemed to be fine, so far as extraction was concerned. I did try it out with 140 smaller audio files and there was no problem, the overall size of the output .zip file for that was 4Mb. The platform I am running it on is the Xbox 360. Also, what is the limit on the overall .zip file size?
Coordinator
Mar 3, 2008 at 12:24 AM
Strange. Can you send me the zip file it says is badly formatted? nickgravelyn -at- gmail -dot- com. I'd like to take a look and see if I can figure out what went wrong.

I think the overall .ZIP limit is something like 3GB so you're fine. I used the same ZIP library from XnaZipLib and I had made tests with upwards of 700MB of data and it worked fine. That said I was doing my stress testing on Windows. I would say try to make a really big ZIP files using something like textures and see if it works on Xbox. It might be a limitation in the ZIP library for Xbox.
Coordinator
Apr 23, 2008 at 11:40 PM
I'm going to be implementing a fix for this tonight. Basically XACT project files will not be included in the ZIP file since the title area on Xbox is read-only (which won't work for me extracting those files). So after I get that in there, XACT files will be ignored and you will just load them in like normal.

It's not a big deal, really, because if you turn on compression in XACT, it does the same thing that the ZIP file would do anyway (and the ZIP file won't save anything on compressed files).
Apr 24, 2008 at 8:15 PM
Very good =D. The XACT does a good enough job, as you say. Thanks a lot, really helped reduce the size of my assets.